6812 SW 34th Way
The Simpson House is located in the Gainesville Country Club Estates, a neighborhood developed beginning in the 1960s. The house is architect-designed and was rehabilitated to restore existing features and introduce new mid-century-inspired designs. A new terrazzo tile floor is laid at a 45-degree angle. The kitchen is a contemporary iteration of postwar modern design and features a glass tile backsplash. The screen dividing and organizing the living space is an interpretation of a screen by renowned interior designer William Pahlmann in the (now demolished) President’s Hotel in Hong Kong. The landscape design and plantings are also mid-century inspired.
3105 SW 5th Court
The Weil-Cassisi House was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2015. Located in the Colclough Hills subdivision and built in 1964, the house was commissioned by Dr. William Weil, a faculty member at the UF College of Medicine. The architect was UF Architecture Professor Harry Merritt, who studied at Harvard under Walter Gropius, founder of the Bauhaus. Constructed of Ocala block and redwood, the house is sited to take advantage of a large oak tree in the front courtyard. The post-and-beam construction is visible and emphasized by the 33′ wood beams that project beyond the flat roof.
2815 SW 8th Drive
The Carlson House was designed in 1950 by architect M.H. Johnson for the Flowers family. Dr. Flowers was a physics professor at the University of Florida. The architect stepped the flat-roofed house back on the lot and placed windows to provide views of the large backyard. Common mid-century modern materials such as cast block were used. Renovated in 2012, the carport was expanded and a pool was added. The Florida room was enclosed with glass, maintaining the footprint and preserving the views of the property.
4420 Clear Lake Drive
Overlooking Clear Lake, the Henderson House was commissioned by Dr. Raymond Fitzpatrick, who was the first Medical Director of Gainesville’s Hospice (now Haven Hospice). The residence was designed by architect Lester May of Moore and May Architects. The primary material is Ocala block, popular with many mid-century modern architects practicing in Florida. A carving above the front door says “a hundred thousand welcomes” in Gaelic. Maasai wedding necklaces from Kenya, Saudi Arabian coffee pots, Bedouin jewelry and dress and other artifacts on display in the house were collected by the current owners from their global travels.
2906 SW 2nd Avenue
The Schneider House faces the Mark Bostick Golf Course and was built in 1966 for the Block family. Dr. Seymour Block was a chemical engineering professor at the University of Florida and Gertrude Block was an instructor of English. The house is characterized by its open plan and walls of glass at the front and rear of the residence. Recently the house was sensitively refurbished to restore some period features and update the kitchen and baths.
1004 NW 34th Street
The Garrett House was constructed in 1962 in the Libby Heights neighborhood. Often referred to as the “butterfly roof house” for its most distinctive element, the house was commissioned by Pat Polopolus and designed by architect Jack Clark. The house is constructed of cast block, including the custom perforated screen that faces 34th Street. Other mid-century features include the open plan with glass-enclosed entry and connector, clerestory windows, exposed roof beams and terrazzo floors. The house was sensitively restored and updated by the current and featured in the August-September 2011 issue of Gainesville Magazine.